Friday, August 15, 2008

Timber Frame Completed

This week was quite a week. On Monday I called the boss of D@?!# the electrical inspector and complained about D@?!#'s demeanor and his combative nature. The boss tried to explain the situation and mentioned that there was some miscommunication. I complained that D@?!# had problems with owner-builders and he was cherry-picking items to fail me, like finding new items that needed to be fixed on each visit. The red tag could have shut us down, but it did not happened this week. And the inspection that was scheduled on Thursday never happened. I think my electrical-inspector troubles have ended.

The timber frame was completed this week and it is above all expectations. The frame itself was completed on Tuesday and the roof was installed on Thursday. All of the planks that I milled and the nephews planed and Susan sprayed with Symphony were put up with tar paper stapled on top. The effect was beautiful. The Symphony is a water based product that is supposed to protect the wood from yellowing. The frame itself will yellow, but the planks should not.

As this project comes together, I get more excited about the potential. The views are spectacular and the building is timeless.

On Wednesday the Cattleman's Trust folks came by. Chris West introduced me to the new gal that we will work with for the last three easements and I gave her a tour of the ranch. The presented us with a great big surprise when they announced that the past owner's son approved a grant to the Cattleman's to pay the transaction costs for our easement.

I discussed with Joe Bonn, the builder of the frame about using his workers to help with the infill framing. This, he said, will work great for him as they are between projects and a project to keep his workers busy was timely. This really takes a load off my back. This was a huge job that would have taken me forever. Tis way, I can concentrate on the siding and the interior flooring.

It rained on Friday and not much on the frame got done. I planned on setting up the deck beams, but the rain prevented me from getting exact measurements. I did, however, try out my new mortiser machine. It works great and will save me hours of time with my timber-framing. We have company this weekend, but I should be relieved from entertaining them as the Menks are here with their friends. I will continue to work on the frame.

Below I share some pictures of the work this week











No comments: