Monday, August 04, 2008

Electrical Inspector from Hell












Got the bad news on Thursday that I did not pass the electrical inspection on the cabin. There were three items that he did not like. First the ground wire was not connected to the main panel at the meter. This was because the power company did not want it connected while they erected the mast to the transformer. The second was the temp panel did not have weather protected connectors to the receptacle box. The third was that the main conductor was not protected from the ground to the panel.

I asked if he would wait for me to get the tools (1/4 miles away) and fix the items and he gave me a lecture on how I should have used an electrician who would have had the supplies and tools there at the site and that he had a three hour drive ahead of him to get home. I did not say what I wanted to at the time that trying to get an electrician to come to a remote location in a rural area is impossible! I had one come to the site and look at the job. After waiting for 3 weeks for a response, I gave up and decided to do it myself.

The repairs took 25 minutes to do and now I have to wait for another week to get electricity. In the mean time I will have to rent a generator to do the erection of the frame this week.

No comments: