Sunday, August 10, 2008

Electrical Inspector displays Peter Principle

Got a surprise electrical inspection on Friday. Good old D@?!# shows up when I was told we were not to receive an inspection until next Thursday! When I talked to the head inspector last week, we agreed that the fix I had on the Lake Cabin temp power was ok until the next inspection. When D@?!# showed up he said that he expected the fixes to be done and that I "LIED" to Rod the boss and to him as to what was to be done.

Only when frustration turned into anger did he back off. I told him that I thought that he was against me from the start because I was doing my only work. He was taken back by my aggression and he responded that he works with homeowners all the time and is only concerned with safety. I reminded him about his continual comment about how an electrician would not have made my mistakes and would have supplies on his truck to fix errors. I responded by stating that if a responsible electrician had given me a bid, I would not be doing the work.

I said to him that he should be trying to help me rather than trying to bust me. I think this hit home because from there on he was more helpful.

He red flagged the meter and gave me the impression that he would not have Mt Parks pull it until he came back to inspect at some future date.

It is obvious to me that he is milking the thing. This is the second inspection and he is finding new things that he wants me to fix. I feel that if he did not mention an error the first time, it is unfair for him to use a new visit to extend the permit with new finds

I look forward to seeing him again as I feel he has purposefully left items unnoted so he can catch me with another fix next time. One item is the lack of a finish plate on a 50 amp receptacle in the old shop. I was stunned that he did not mention it in the first inspection. After the second I decided to head him off by purchasing the plate when I went to Walden to get supplies to fix the Lake Cabin panel.

We shall see!

No comments: